We at Ogeechee would just like to take a second and wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and to thank you for using us as your family's meat supplier. Next, I would like to pass along some tips for the big day next week:
ROASTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR SAFETY AND DONENESS:
1. Set the oven temperature no lower than 325 °F. Preheating is not necessary.
2. Be sure the turkey is completely thawed. Which is no problem if you bought one of our fresh never frozen no antibiotics no presevative birds. Times are based on fresh or completely thawed frozen birds at a refrigerator temperature of 40 °F or below.
3. Place turkey breast-side up on a flat wire rack in a shallow roasting pan 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep.
- Tuck wing tips back under shoulders of bird (called "akimbo").
- Add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the pan.
- In the beginning, a tent of aluminum foil may be placed loosely over the breast of the turkey for the first 1 to 1 1/2 hours, then removed for browning. Or, a tent of foil may be placed over the turkey after the turkey has reached the desired golden brown.
4. For safety and doneness, the internal temperature should be checked with a meat thermometer.
The temperature must reach 180 °F in the thigh of a whole turkey (center of the stuffing should reach 165 °F) before removing it from the oven. Cook a turkey breast to 170 °F.
5. Juices should be clear. In the absence of a meat thermometer, pierce an unstuffed turkey with a fork in several places; juices should be clear with no trace of pink.
6. Let the bird stand 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. We have found that this little step goes a long way in reserving all the juices in the meat and stuffing.
APPROXIMATE COOKING TIMES
- 4 to 6 lb breast.....1 1/2 to 2 1/4 hrs
- 6 to 8 lb breast...2 1/4 to 3 1/4 hrs
- 8 to 12 lbs................2 3/4 to 3 hrs
- 12 to 14 lbs..............3 to 3 3/4 hrs
- 14 to 18 lbs........3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hrs
- 18 to 20 lbs........4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hrs
- 20 to 24 lbs..............4 1/2 to 5 hrs
- 8 to 12 lbs...............3 to 3 1/2 hrs
- 12 to 14 lbs..............3 1/2 to 4 hrs
- 14 to 18 lbs..............4 to 4 1/4 hrs
- 18 to 20 lbs........4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hrs
- 20 to 24 lbs........4 3/4 to 5 1/4 hrs
And finally, just in case you need some help the day of our friends at butterball are on duty Thanksgiving Day: 1-800-BUTTERBALL
HAPPY THANKSGIVING and we'll see you in December for your Prime Rib Roasts, Turkey, and Crown Roast orders!
Good Grillin' everyone!
_the Ogeechee Meat Market Butcher.
In : cooking/grilling
Tags: turkey turkey hotline thanksgiving
blog comments powered by Disqus